Monday, August 12, 2013

A visit from the Apostles....


Hello there all you brochachos and miss ladies, I love you and miss you all! Thanks for all the emails, and it sounds like everyone is doing superb (scouse accent). I am so thankful that we have this metal box to communicate to eachother with, and it makes me happy everytime I read all your lovely words. So thank you! and thank you thank you thank you for that incredible music! You have no idea how happy it made me when I heard it. That cd has basically been on repeat the entire time i'm in the flat. Thank you for giving me a piece of home and saving my soul and sanity.
 
So this week has been an amazing adventure, both for "woah look at that!" to the "woah, I feel like a had a total spiritual reboot and upgrade".
 
So on tuesday, we had a really good zone meeting, even though most of my friends moved to different areas (lame). The highlight was probably when we all sang Joseph Smith's First Prayer together...and it rocked me to the core. You know that feeling when your body instantly gets cold all over and you get shivers down your spine, but then a warm swelling starts to burn in your heart? Well that's what happened, and I loved every bit of it. Later on that day, we got the spontaneous chance to go the pageant again! James Williams came and picked us up in the mini bus and we picked up some others as well and then headed up to chorley! Overall, I think I had an even better experience than the first time. I luckily got to hang out with Elder Caleira there, and after that glorious reunion, we got to watch the pageant together. Since we had to give up our seats for some investigators, we had to stand, but we got to stand pretty close to the stage. This allowed me to pick up more of the energy and the music and the clever behind the scenes actions of the show, and it was definitely another flood of spiritualness. I wish more than ever that you could have all joined me.
 
Thursday. Thursday was pretty much the highlight of my mission so far.
James picked us up early in the morning, stopped by a McDonalds, and then we were off to Manchester to see the beloved apostles. Every single missionary in the mission gathered together at the Man. South chapel, which was an amazing experience in itself. It has never happened before! There was so much missionary power underneath that roof. After all the hugs and reunions, President conducted and let us know how to basically behave ourselves when the apostles showed up. We all sat dead quiet for nearly 40 minutes, which was a time for us to spiritually prepare and relax and listen to the piano playing. It was incredibly calming. Eventually, president preston left the chapel, which we knew that it was the sign that the apostles arrived. We all arose in one accord, still dead silent, but my nerves were going crazy on the inside. Then...in walked the group. In single file, in walked Elder Nelson, his wife, Elder Holland and his wife, then the two other general authorites and their wives, Elders Keirnen and Evans. I was sitting on the outside of the bench, and they all walked right past me! I was so close! But I could seriously feel a change in the whole chapel as soon as they entered. There is an amazing spirit that just radiates off of them, and I could already tell, before even hearing them, that they were truly servants of the Lord.
It was even better hearing them in person. I cant possibly describe how it felt or all what I learned from them, but here are some highlights:
Elder Holland:
First off, he is the master at balancing "laugh your face off" moments, and "woah, this is intense" moments and even some "fist slamming into the podium and choked up voice" moments. He was just born to speak to people.
He mainly talked to us about the mission experience, but his words can be applied to our entire lives really. He urged us to "savor every moment, and to never waste an hour" and my favorite " Start right now, to create the stories that you will tell to your children, and your children's children, and even to their children." It was all very powerful, and I will remember that experience forever.
Elder Nelson:
The main thing that stuck out to me was his pure love for all of us, and his statement that " The Lord is moving people to the UK to meet you, and they probably dont even know it." The way he said it...it just felt like he had a personal conversation with the Lord himself. Well, he is an apostle. I wouldn't doubt it. The other thing he urged us to do, is to testify of the Father. People need to know him.
Overall, I have gained such a testimony that the Apostles are truly servants of the Lord, and that they speak words of pure truth. Sadly I didnt get to hug or even shake Elder Hollands hand, but I got to stand right next to him, and while he was on the stand...we had some serious eye contact. That was more than good enough for me. The thing that made this experience even more amazing was that it fulfilled some of my patriarchal blessing. I know that I am meant to be here.
 
So after that powerhouse thurday, I had some good mini adventures. We got to travel up to Liverpool for a baptism, and the journey was an adventure in itself! But I loved seeing the city and the rich culture and crazy architecture, and of course, I loved being in the Beatles birthplace. There is just such a unique vibe to this place and I love hearing all the scousers. I hope that you all can visit with me someday! So on the way home, we met a cool mongolian girl on the train, and she became our travel buddy. Heading back late into wrexham, there were a lot of drunk people on the train, and we ended up having to defend her from getting preyed on. Luckily there was no further conflict, but it did open up her trust towards us and we ended up having a lesson with her and leaving her with our details. Hopefully something happens! Oh yeah, also on the way back we were attacked by little chavs with water guns. They are so lucky I am in missionary mode. Other than that, work has been pretty good. We had 3 chinese families at church with us, and we are just working on ways we can integrate them with the ward. Its been hard and there has already been some conflicts, but we will find out a way that it will work. We just dont want to lose them after Elder Chong leaves.
 
Well that's about all I have time for right now, but its been good hearing from you all! i love you all, and I hope that you keep on having excellent times. May the work and the love flow on. Peace out!
 
Elder Goodman
aka BA
 
p.s. I'm going to go and pick up the package from the post office right after this. I dont know what it is yet, but thank you anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment