Monday, July 29, 2013

The First Baptism.


The pageant grounds


 The Jones Family

 Abi!

Hello there! First and foremost, happy birthday my mother and sister! I know I missed it, but I didnt forget it. I hope you both had a bodacious time. Im still a bit jelly that I couldnt join you all in your california adventures. I'm craving the ocean and surfing and family time. It's been too long, and I miss you all!
 
So this past half week has been hectic, refreshing, exhausting, and crazy, but overall....good! Elder Chong.....is definitely a malaysian-energizer bunny. He eats and farts a lot, is a crazy chinese speaker, and is somewhat of a missionary robot that is just go go go! Already, our missionary styles are a bit conflicting, i'm much more laid-back and take it slow and make friendships before I'm bold about the gospel, but he just goes straight for the kill. Its also hard because I'm basically family with the ward and I know how everyone is and have deep relationships with them all, and his style might overwhelm some people. But, he is a really good cook and cooks breakfast everyday, and he is planning to make a ton of fried rice to give to everyone, so props to him. I love him though, and he is a good companion. Its definitley a new experience! He is seriously a non-stop missionary, and he is so eager to basically reboot wrexham. Which is both good and not so good.
But the good!...
We have been finding so many people! We have been basically tracking down every chinese person here, and then they lead us to other chinese families, so now we have this little chinese network. Sadly, I have no idea what anyone is saying, so Elder Chong just talks to them the whole time and I try to entertain the kids. We have even brought one of the families to church! It was good that Lin Yun and her two children came, but I dont think they got too much out of it. We have also hooked up with the community coordinater, and we are making connections so that we can set up some community events and get people together and meet the members of the church. This I think is going to be our big focus this transfer: getting the community and church involved together, allowing friendships to be made, and to get the kids and teenagers off the streets and doing something fun and productive instead. Playing football with them has already opened new doors to us, and we are just trying to be the best influneces we can and to use some creativity with our missionary work.
 Another good thing, one of my investigator familes also came to church! Heather (and her guide dog Una) and her mother Ann showed up, and it was really good. I think the really felt the spirit, but I wished that I could have worked with them better. Church was hectic. Since we had a chinese family, I had to help Elder Chong with them as well, then we had to do some things in the primary, then we had to do a lot of translating and help out some other ward members and then help teach the Gospel Principles class and then stand in the circle to confirm Abi....and I felt a bit overwhelmed. Everything was just happening at once and especially with the really really  warm chapel, I felt like my head was about to explode. But luckily, everything turned out ok and we got a text from heather and her mother saying "they had a lovely time". It made my day.
So on saturday, we had Abi's baptism! It was way good, and it was such a powerful experience to be able to baptize her. Haha and the font was seriously like jacuzzi status. Also, there is something about a 10 year olds testimony that can make you feel the spirit so strongly. Everyone could feel it, both the members and non-members there. Its also amazing to see that ever since we have been teaching Abi and preparing her for baptism, her family has come back into activity and I can already see the blessings taking place. It will be in my memory for forever.
I feel like this transfer is going to fly by. We have so many events coming up: district meetings, district council meetings, the Pageant on thursday, the mission wide conference where we get to hear Elder Neilson and Elder Holland, a church history tour, and all the exchanges. Its so good! Also having crazy busy finding days with Elder Chong makes the time fly by as well. Which is good, because even though I want to enjoy every little moment I can, I want time to go by so I can get over this slow beginning chunk of my mission.
Well, I love you all, and I miss you all dearly. Thank you for supporting this little welsh boy, I really appreciate it. Till next week, peace out!
 
Elder Goodman
aka BA


 
llangollen
 
Elder Chong! aka breakfast ninja

the district and zone leaders
 
  



No comments:

Post a Comment