Monday, December 9, 2013

Wandering around the Lake District


Hello everyone! I love you and miss you all, and I'm not just saying that. I have been asked to give a 35 minute training at our mission christmas training/party, and my subject is Charity. So...for the past week or so, every personal study has been on that subject, and I have been reflecting a lot. It is my favorite subject and attribute, one that I have gained the strongest testimony of on my mission. I just want all of you to know, I love you with all my heart, and I am truly grateful to be on this earth, at this time, with all of you. Love conquers all.
 
Alright alright enough of the mushy stuff.....here's what's up in the life of Elder Goodman!
 
I had an incredible exchange with my new German friend, ELder Werner, in the beautiful land of Kendal. The work is very hard there, since it is a small area and has been hit hard with a lot of missionaries in the past. I get the vibe that everyone already knows who we are and what we do, so all we can really do is just be there for them when they are prepared and ready! But anyways, it was way rad. We traveled to the beautiful area of Windemere, the scenic, hilly town bordering the great lake. I seriously wish that I had my longboard and could chill there all day. But sadly, that's frowned upon in this establishment. So we traveled around, knocked on dozens of doors and tried our best street contacting. No major success, other than making a few people smile. So to lighten up our spirits, we took our lunch break down on the shore of Lake Windemere, with a view of the Lake District Valley off in the distance. Elder Werner has only been out for a couple months and his main concern is that "he will forget how to relax after the mission". Haha so I taught him a lesson about balance, and then we chilled and relaxed and ate sandwiches and meditated and just took in the beauty of the lake for almost an hour. It is now a memory that will be in my brain for forever. I love this earth, and I love the Lake District!
 
After our 3 day exchange, I got back into Barrow...only to hit the worst weather that I have ever experienced on my mission this far. Haha it was such a welcome back. Powerful coastal winds, icy rain and rubbish being blown everyone. It was an adventure. One of the roads closed down due to flooding, and we heard Blackpool was totally shut down. It was a bit sketchy, but still we worked and something amazing happened! We taught a man named Peter, a rough chracter who was caught up in the IRA back in Ireland, but he was so prepared and desperatley needed the gospel. We taught him the Restoration...and he accepted the bold invitation to be baptized! Peter is going to need a lot of work, but both Elder Diederich and I feel like he is going to make it. Peter already prays for both of our families, aka all of you, so please pray for our friend Peter!
 
On Saturday, Elder Diederich and I felt inspired to go work in the small village of Cartmel. It was a beautiful disaster. We got off the train, only to find out that we had to walk several miles to get to the actual town. So we did, and even though the walk was long, the view and scenerey were incredible. It turns out Cartmel is a tourist village, which was super cool for my adventure brain, but not so good for missionary work. We knocked on the few doors that were there and tried to talk to as many people as we could, but no major luck. We met a new friend, an older lady named Heather who we might teach sometime in the future, and the views were beautiful, so overall it was a good experience.
 
I ate some way good fish n' chips from the award winning chippy in Barrow on Bath Street! It tasted really good, but then it gave me an award winning bathroom experience later that night. Chippy's and my stomach dont mix too well.
 
Well, other than that, life has been good. I am getting to meet more of the ward families, even though there are very few of them, we had 29, including kids, show up to church yesterday. This is even smaller than my branch in Stafford. But they are all really good people...and there are definitely many characters. We are probably going to skype from George's, our ward mission leader, home, but I will let you know the deets as soon as I can. I am so excited to see all of your faces and hear all your lovely voices, especially you Tate.
 
I love you all. Till next time, Stay classy Arizona.
 
Elder Goodman
BA
HotTuna

windemere
 
lakeside sandwich



trail to the lake
 
no troll
 
dont slip




elder werner aka german
 
news team....assemble
 
train station ocean view



road to cartmel
 
sheeeeeeeeeep
 
this horse walked all the way across the field for us.....to feed him grass





No comments:

Post a Comment