Monday, June 24, 2013

British Bear Hugs, Blisters and a Trip to the Temple.

Hello hello hello! Greetings from the boy over in Wales.
I love you all, and I hope you are all having excellent times! I miss you, but its been going pretty great over here.
So to sum up my week, here it goes.
On tuesday, we did some service for old man Tony. We just cut the hedges and pulled weeds and junk, and we talked to him about getting a puppy. His loneliness is making him a bit desperate, and we are trying to help him find some happiness even though he isnt too open to the gospel. But hey, we'll keep trying. We also had a lesson with a former investigator named Rosa. She from Zimbabwae and she is hardcore Catholic, but when we had a really really good lesson with her. Basically it boiled down to "so my baptism isn't valid?". Her eyes really opened after we carefully explained it to her and testified of the restored gospel, and she commited to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it! Good hopes!
On Wednesday, we had a super rad and spiritual specialized training and interviews with President Preston. We got together as the Chester zone and we trained by the assistants and zone leaders, and the lessons were all focused on studying and I loved it. It has actually been my focus lately, so this training came at a good time. Throughout the meeting, President Preston had interviews with all the missionaries, and we all really really look forward to them. He is such a loving and understanding man, and I love his big-british-bear-hugs! I learn an incredible amount from him, and he helps me build that desire to be a good missionary.
On thursday, we did a mega ton of walking and i developed some hardcore blisters that are still making me walk awkwardly, buts its all good. We had a good tea appointment with the Hortons, and it was lovely and chaotic as usual.
On Friday we had a good lesson with Brother Haskins in the morning, then we went out and did some hardcore finding. Not too much success, but we met a really young family that recently moved into the area, so we tried our best to just be friendly and get to know them better. Later on, we had tea with the Keighleys and it was way good. I love that family, and I'm getting close with the 15 and 14 year old boys. They are a bit shaky about missions, so we are doing our best to get them in the groove. Their smallest boy Seth, is basically a Welsh twin of Tate. Throughout tea, I think he went through at least 5 different costumes, and he was in full character for each one. One minute he was a jedi, the next he was either a knight or an alien warrior. For food, Sister Keighley put on a full american-bbq kind of spread, with spicy chicken burgers, chips (fries), coleslaw, melon and veg. To top it all off, she made her famous ultra chocolate brownies, and I narrowly avoided slipping into a food coma. I definitely want to come back and see them after the mish. Later on, we went to the 80's ward party! Even though most of the music was crap and the hair was too big, it was pretty fun. Alex worked at the bar and was all fancy pants and mixed drinks for everyone, and we all competed in the 80's quizes and relaxed and talked to a lot of the friends that the members brought. We got most of their digits, so we will work on seeing them in the future.
On Saturday, after many more miles of walking and blisterage, we met up with Alex and we taught a less active family, the Jones (the name Jones is waaayy too common here). Haha but I love their family, they have an older daughter that is friends with Alex, and they have a slightly autistic son named Joe, he is 12 or so, and they have a 10 year old daughter named Abi. Haha first off.....Joe's prayers are the best. This one went along the lines of " Dear lord......my name is Carl,......Carl is my name, and I'm thankful for everything......except the bad luck that I have.....I dont like bad luck....and I dont like when my sisters are being naggy.........Amen." After controlling our laughter, we began to teach a lesson directed towards Abi, about getting baptized. Even though she is young, she is mature and wants to do things for the right reasons. It was amazing because at first, she had a bad migraine and was alseep so we didnt really know if we should move on with the lesson, but as soon as we started talking about baptism, she woke up and was alert and began asking us a lot of questions. At the end of the lesson, she showed a good understanding and desire, and she picked out a date to be baptized on!!! Wooo!! We set up a plan to teach her lessons and then to be baptized on the 27th of July. We're excited, and I wonder if i will be here for it. That would mean that this would be a 6 month area for me.....which im not too stoked about, but i wouldnt be too upset if i got a baptism out of it. I just really feel like I need to get out and serve in a new area with new people and new vibes. I hate the feeling of being stuck.
So that was about it for me this week, nothing crazy, but im still enjoying it over here! I love you all, and I'm thankful for a rad and wonderful family that supports me and will be there when i return to my homeland! Until next time, turrah!

Elder Goodman
BA


p.s. thank you for the girl scout cookies, they were especially delicious (nacho voice)


Oh ya, tomorrow I get to go through the temple!!!!! We are doing it together as a mission, and I'm stoked! The only problem is that we have to wake up at 5 to catch a train to Chorley. It will be worth it im sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment