Monday, September 9, 2013

Moving into Stafford.


Hello hello hello!!! It hasnt been too long since the last chat, but luckily a lot has happened! But first off, thank you for all the lovely emails and words of love and support, they help keep me flowing and going. I love you! and can you believe its already been 6 months? That's crazy sauce. So anyways (nacho voice)....here's my little weekly update:
 
So while working in Stoke, my stoke level was quite high, Elder Hatch and I have been talking to a ton of people and getting some mighty fine referrals for the Stoke Elders. Miracle time: Elder Hatch and I were walking around the town and we came across a man raking some leaves in front of a church community center. He was wearing a Batman t-shirt, so naturally I had to compliment him, which began a good little conversation. We ended up offering our help to him but he kindly declined, but...he said we could try by his church just down the road to see if the others needed help. So we did. We found the church and knocked on the doors, and a young man opened up and welcomed us in with a warm "Hey Elders!". Inside was the Pastor, and 5 or six other men working and cleaning inside their chapel. We introduced ourselves a bit, and then asked if we could help in anyway. After a bit of hesitation, they agreed and we began to help them build some book shelves and other small wooden racks for their children's nursery. We just kept it casual and friendly, but then the Pastor asked the golden question of...What makes your church different from ours? Winner winner chicken dinner. This opened up into a whole 45 minute Restoration and Priesthood lesson. They stopped working, surrounded us with open ears, and their questions began to flow. With the spirit, we were able to answer every one of them in a passive but powerful way. Occasionally their Pastor would argue some of our beliefs with Bible references, but without getting confrontational or in anyway bashing, we were able to draw upon the Book of Mormon to clearify our faith and to resolve any questions they had. The spirit was so strong, and it was amazing to see all these good and faithful men have their eyes opened to the truth. I know that they were all dedicated to their specific church, but I could feel a new curiosity working inside of them. Hopefully they can continue to let this curiosity grow, and have the courage to call our number that we left with them. This gospel is for everyone, even those who are of different but respected faiths.
 
After some other good times in Stoke, I was able to go to my first District Leaders Council meeting up in Crewe. I loved being able to work with the other district and zone leaders in the Newcastle Zone, and I loved inputing my ideas and opinions to help our fellow missionaries and to keep progressing the work. (Side note: one of my zone leaders, Elder Walker, trained my good friend David Graham for track in BYU. The mission is full of crazy connections). Overall it was a way good meeting, but we got a suprising call on the way back. Our flat in Stafford was ready!! Elder Hatch and I were now to move out that Saturday night. So we got back to the Stoke flat, packed up our bags, and waited for the office elders to pick us up and take us to our new home. (hopefully I can attach some pics). Stoke was a good time, but it is now time to work and let the adventures begin here in Stafford.
 
Stafford is a very small and quiet town, and we still havent been able to explore too much of it. However, we were able to go to church yesterday and meet a lot of the members in the Stafford Branch! The branch has about 40 active members, and a lot of them are pretty ancient. I think if one of the men tripped and fell over, he would poof into a cloud of dust. But there are definitely some good, young and solid families. I was amazed at the difference of how reverant and powerful this branch was compared to Wrexham ward. Especially the priesthood. Instead of bickering and harrassing, there was a deep reverance and energy towards missionary work. It was way refreshing! Already we have been able to make a good appearance and gained a lot of their trust. They are incredible men, and I cant wait to work and become good friends with them. Later on Sunday night, we were invited over to the Mansfields for tea. They are a really educated and proper English family, and I felt like I had to enhance my vocabulary and polish up my manners while I was over. Haha it was pretty fun to pretend to be proper English. 
 
Well my family and friends, I love you all. This week I will be working really hard getting to know the people of this area and where everything is, but you are never forgotten. Its incredible how sharing my pictures and stories of you help bond me with others, and it is powerful to teach about how the gospel blesses families when it has greatly blessed mine. Take care of yourselves, and I cant wait to read your words next week. Peace out home-skillets!
 
Elder Goodman
aka BA
 
The New Flat:







The goodbyes in Wrexham:

Keighleys
 
Prices
 
Hortons





No comments:

Post a Comment