Thursday, September 5, 2013

Off to new adventures. Meet your new District Leader.


Hello everyone! It seriously feels like forever since I have been able to talk to you all. I miss you and love you all so much. Things are going great (except my pen just exploded in my pocket as I walked into the library. Lame sauce). But yes....it is true......I have packed my bags and I am in a new land! My itchiness to travel has been relieved. So here's the story:
In the middle of one of our lessons with our recent convert Abi, we got a phone call from none other than President Preston. This was a big call. In his loving and excited english voice he said "Elder Goodman....are you ready for an adventure?!?" Flip yes I was! (not my actual words to him. I have to be a dignified missionary). So he told me that I was going to serve in Stafford.....and that I would be white-washing and opening it for elders (that is intense. new flat. no supplies. no knowledge where anything is. no connection to any ward members)....and I will be serving with my fellow MTC district missionary (Elder Hatch. This might be a bit like baby-sitting, but it will be a good mentoring experience)...and I will be District Leader! I was a bit shocked at first, but I'm stoked to step it up and work hard and serve my fellow missionaries with love.
Also, President was not done talking. Haha he told me that my flat is not ready in Stafford, they dont even have the keys yet. So, Elder Hatch and I had to find our way from the Transfer meeting in Manchester to Stoke-on-Trent. We will be staying with the Stoke Elders for about a week, so it will be a crazy 4-man flat experience. We have already been working in the area for a bit, and I just love the change. The only hard part is fulfilling my role as a District leader, when i'm not even settled in my own area. Its a bit strange, but I like strange. Being on the mission has especially helped me learn how to just roll with the punches and work hard while going with the flow. The best thing is to just look at the mission as a huge adventure. It makes it way fun.
There is so much more to tell of all my mini adventures. Unfortunately, too much for the time at hand. But I want you to know that I love you all, and my love for the gospel and simply helping people is growing everyday. In my last week in Wrexham, I had some very emotional good byes with a lot of the ward members . They seriously feel like family, and even I got some juicy grandma hugs and a lot of bro hugs. But the final message that I left to everyone was a simple but profound scripture message found in 2 Nephi 26:29-31. Charity. I will leave you to all read and ponder those verses for yourselves, but I have never felt more moved by any other scripture. This charity towards everyone is the fuel that is keeping me going, and it can affect everyone around us, from the little kid playing with slugs in the street, from the 14 year old chav who now has an open heart, and even to the older people who previously thought it was too late for hope. I now that this gospel is true, and that charity it the core of all happiness.
I will be able to talk and give you some more updates on monday, but peace out for now! I love you all
Elder Goodman
aka BA
p.s. yes...in case you were wondering....I did pack my bottles of Cholula and I did take them with me. Never alone

No comments:

Post a Comment