Monday, January 6, 2014

"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what it's built for"


Hello everyone! This week has flown by with New Years and such, and my memory of you all skyping is still fresh. Life is good, even though it's the usual chilly and windy weather outside. Winter is setting in, along with the damp "bones" weather. It seems to seep right through everything. But hey, as long as there is no cold sauce on the ground or flooding, it isnt too bad. Our friends up in Workington are stuck there because flooding is convering a lot of the train rails. I just hope that doesnt happen to us! We joke around and already feel exiled as it is!!
 
Oh yeah, first bit of news....we got our transfer call and Elder Diederich and I are both staying another transfer in "beautiful" Barrow! I'm stoked, because even though this area is super dead and the ward is decaying and we are here alone to take on this depressed town....I will be here for Connie's baptism! We have been working so hard with her, and she is seriously one of the only glimmers of hope that we have right now. We are hoping that this baptism will create a spark for the rest of the ward to pump up some enthusiasm and hope. Only 29 people showed up to church yesterday, and if the rate continues the way that it is going....this ward is going to crumble and shut down. This.cannot.happen. Luckily, Elder Diederich and I are super good friends and work well together, which will make this responsibilty a bit easier to handle. Haha not going to lie, this point in my mission (missionary work wise) feels a bit like Josephs time in Liberty jail. It's a big test to keep my spirits high.
 
But anyways, we are still having some good times here. On Tuesday I gave a district meeting with the zone leaders there which went pretty well...but at 4 o clock, we got New Years Eve off! So my companion and I went over to George's house and we just chilled and watched Netflix. After that, we got back pretty late, stayed up till midnight, I watched fireworks and drunk people from my flat window, then I crashed in bed. Party on. We got to sleep in, and after chilling in the morning and listening to some rad tuneage, we went over to George's again and watched more Netflix. There really isnt much to do in Barrow on a rainy day, I would have killed to go on a hike or something in the Lake District, but instead we treated ourselves to NACHOOOOOOOOOOO LIBRE. Haha good times.
So Saturday morning was flippin hectic. We had to be in Lancaster for a district leader's council meeting by 10:30. So we were just leaving to catch our train, but then we got the transfer calls. Worst timing ever!!!! So we were walking to the train station in the crazy wind and couldnt hear squat on the phone (zone transfer calls are the highlights of the transfer. Its a huge conference call with everyone and everyone gets stoked!) So this time was a bit frustrating because we couldnt hear much. We finally got to the train station....only to see our train fly by without stopping! What the flip. We then found out that was the only train to come by in the next hour or so, so that was our only hope to make it to the meeting on time. There was only one other woman with us, and she was freaking out too because that was the train she needed as well. So we talked a bit and she said "come on!!! lets drive and try to catch the same train in Dalton!!" So we ran with her to her car, hopped in, drove fast to Dalton...only to find that we missed the train there as well. AHHHH this morning was super frustrating. We ended up begging George to give us the hour long lift to Lancaster, which would barely get us there in time. He kindly drove us, and we listened to a rad Scottish soundtrack all along the way through the beautiful countryside. It was good, because I would have been way grumpy at the meeting. That man deserves major blessings, and some chocolate.
 
Other than that, our week has been pretty chill. I am trying to turn my brain from holiday mode back to working mode still, because its 2014 and time to get back to the grind. This year should be good, and I have a feeling its going to fly by. I will keep you updated on all my new adventures this year. I love you all, and till next week, peace out!!
 
Elder Goodman
BA
HotTuna
 
p.s. I love the quote
 
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what it's built for"

No comments:

Post a Comment